To ensure that a virtual machine and a physical NIC can exchange data, you must associate a virtual machine with one or more virtual functions.
After you enable the virtual functions on the host, each of them becomes available as a PCI device.
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system.
- Verify that the configuration of your environment supports SR-IOV. See SR-IOV Support.
- Verify that the virtual functions exist on the host.
- Verify that the passthrough networking device for the virtual function is active on the host.
- Select a virtual machine from the inventory panel of the vSphere Client.
- Power off the virtual machine.
- From the Inventory menu, select .
- On the Resources tab, select Memory.
- Select Unlimited.
- On the Hardware tab, click Add.
- Select PCI Device and click Next.
- From the drop-down menu select the virtual function.
- Click Finish.
- Power on the virtual machine.