Nonadministrative users in the guest operating system are able to shrink virtual disks. Shrinking a virtual disk reclaims the disk's unused space. However, if you shrink a disk repeatedly, the disk can become unavailable or cause a Denial of Service (DoS). To prevent this, disable the ability to shrink virtual disks.
Before you begin
Turn off the virtual machine.
- Log in to the vCenter Server system using the vSphere Client.
- Select the virtual machine in the inventory.
- On the Summary tab, click Edit Settings.
- Select Configuration Parameters. and click
- Add or edit the following parameters.
- Click OK to close the Configuration Parameters dialog box, and click OK again to close the Virtual Machine Properties dialog box.
When you disable this feature, you cannot shrink virtual machine disks when a datastore runs out of space.