You can redirect the direct console to either of the serial ports com1 or com2. When you use the vSphere Client to redirect the direct console to a serial port, the boot option that you set persists after subsequent reboots.
Verify that you can access the host from the vSphere Client.
Verify that the serial port is not already in use for serial logging and debugging, or for ESX Shell (tty1Port).
- In the vSphere Client, select the host in the inventory.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Under Software, click Advanced Settings.
- In the left pane, expand the VMkernel listing and select Boot.
- Make sure that the VMkernel.Boot.logPort and VMkernel.Boot.gdbPort fields are not set to use the com port that you want to redirect the direct console to.
- Set VMkernel.Boot.tty2Port to the serial port to redirect the direct console to: com1 or com2.
- Click OK.
- Reboot the host.
You can now manage the ESXi host remotely from a console that is connected to the serial port.