You can redirect the direct console to either of the serial ports com1 or com2. When you use the vSphere Client to redirect the direct console to a serial port, the boot option that you set persists after subsequent reboots.
- Verify that you can access the host from the vSphere Client.
- Verify that the serial port is not already in use for serial logging and debugging, or for ESX Shell (tty1Port).
- In the vSphere Client, select the host in the inventory.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Under Software, click Advanced Settings.
- In the left pane, expand the VMkernel listing and select Boot.
- Make sure that the VMkernel.Boot.logPort and VMkernel.Boot.gdbPort fields are not set to use the com port that you want to redirect the direct console to.
- Set VMkernel.Boot.tty2Port to the serial port to redirect the direct console to: com1 or com2.
- Click OK.
- Reboot the host.
You can now manage the ESXi host remotely from a console that is connected to the serial port.