You can enable DirectPath I/O with vMotion for virtual machines in a datacenter on a Cisco UCS system that has at least one supported Cisco UCS Virtual Machine Fabric Extender (VM-FEX) distributed switch.
Before you begin
Enable high performance network I/O on at least one Cisco UCS port profile on a supported Cisco VM-FEX distributed switch. For supported switches and switch configuration, see Cisco's documentation at http://www.cisco.com/go/unifiedcomputing/b-series-doc.
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system.
Power off the virtual machine.
- Log in to the vSphere Client and select the VMs and Templates inventory view.
- Right-click the virtual machine to modify and click Edit Settings.
- On the Resources tab, select Memory.
- Select Unlimited.
- On the Hardware tab, select the network adapter to configure as a passthrough device.
- Select a port profile with high performance enabled from the network label drop-down menu, and click OK.
- Power on the virtual machine.
After the virtual machine is powered on, DirectPath I/O appears as Active on the Hardware tab of the virtual machine properties dialog box.