With Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP), vSphere administrators can determine which physical switch port connects to a given vSphere distributed switch. When LLDP is enabled for a particular distributed switch, you can view properties of the physical switch (such as chassis ID, system name and description, and device capabilities) from the vSphere Client.
LLDP is available only on vSphere distributed switch version 5.0.0 and later.
Launch the vSphere Client and log in to a vCenter Server system.
- Log in to the vSphere Client and select the Networking inventory view.
- Right-click the vSphere distributed switch in the inventory pane, and select Edit Settings.
- On the Properties tab, select Advanced.
- Select Enabled from the Status drop-down menu.
- Select Link Layer Discovery Protocol from the Type drop-down menu.
- Select the LLDP mode from the Operation drop-down menu.
Option Description Listen ESXi detects and displays information about the associated physical switch port, but information about the vSphere distributed switch is not available to the switch administrator. Advertise ESXi makes information about the vSphere distributed switch available to the switch administrator, but does not detect and display information about the physical switch. Both ESXi detects and displays information about the associated physical switch and makes information about the vSphere distributed switch available to the switch administrator.
- Click OK.