When you are logged in to an ESXi host with the VMware Host Client, you can configure various networking settings, such as the port group name, VLAN ID, and virtual switch.
- Click Networking in the VMware Host Client inventory and click Port groups.
- Right-click the port group in the list that you want to edit and select Edit settings.
- (Optional) Enter a new name for the port group.
Changing certain port group names might orphan some virtual machines.
- (Optional) Enter a new value for the VLAN ID.
The VLAN ID reflects the VLAN tagging mode in the port group.
VLAN Tagging Mode
External Switch Tagging (EST)
The virtual switch does not pass traffic associated with a VLAN.
Virtual Switch Tagging (VST)
From 1 to 4094
The virtual switch tags traffic with the tag that you entered.
Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT)
Virtual machines handle VLANs. The virtual switch permits traffic from any VLAN.
- (Optional) Select a virtual switch from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save port group to apply your changes.