You can restore full image backups of VMs that contain vCenter Server, vCenter Server Appliance, or Platform Services Controller manually by using the Restore backup wizard.
- Deploy and configure the vSphere Data Protection Appliance.
- Back up a virtual machine with running vCenter Server, vCenter Server Appliance or Platform Services Controller. See Create a Backup Job in vSphere Data Protection.
- Use the vSphere Web Client to log in to the vCenter Server instance that manages your environment. Log in as the user with administrator privileges that was used during the vSphere Data Protection configuration.
- Verify that the virtual machine you want to restore is powered off.
- On the vSphere Web Client Home page, click vSphere Data Protection.
- Click the Restore tab.
- (Optional) Filter the backups to narrow your search.
- Select a virtual machine listed in the Name column, and select one or more backup items that you want to restore.
When you select a virtual machine, you can see the list of the performed backups for that virtual machine.
- Click Restore to start the Restore backup wizard.
- On the Select Backup page, verify that the list of backups is correct, remove the backups that you want to exclude from the restore operation, and click Next.
- On the Set Restore Options page, leave the Restore to Original Location check box selected.
Important: If the virtual disk of the original VM has been removed or deleted, you cannot restore the VM to its original location. The VMDK must be restored to a new location.
- (Optional) Under Advanced options, select a new datastore to power on the VM after it is restored and to reconnect the NIC.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the summary of your restore requests, and click Finish to start the restore operation.
Note: If in Step 8 you selected to reconnect NIC during the restore process, verify that the network configuration for the newly created VM is correct. The new VM NIC might use the same IP address as the original VM, which causes conflicts.
An information dialog box confirms that the restore operation was successfully initiated. You can monitor the restore progress in the Recent Tasks pane.