Your environment might consist of vCenter Server or a vCenter Server Appliance with an embedded Platform Services Controller. You can use vSphere Data Protection to back up and restore a vCenter Server environment with an embedded Platform Services Controller.
The workflow for backing up and restoring a vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller includes the following tasks:
- Deploy the vSphere Data Protection Appliance.
- Complete the initial vSphere Data Protection configuration.
- Perform image-based backups of all vCenter Server instances.
- (Optional) To run an existing backup job immediately, start the process manually.
- Restore the failed vCenter Server by using one of the available methods:
- Restore a virtual machine to the original location.
- Restore a virtual machine to a new location.
- Restore a virtual machine directly to the ESXi host that is running the vSphere Data Protection Appliance if the vCenter Server service becomes unavailable or if you cannot access the vSphere Data Protection user interface by using the vSphere Web Client.
- Power on the virtual machine that contains the restored vCenter Server.