You can install or deploy a Platform Services Controller and register several vCenter Server instances with the same Platform Services Controller. You can use vSphere Data Protection for backing up and restoring the whole environment, so that if any of the vCenter Server instances fails, you can restore the failed vCenter Server instance.
- Deploy the vSphere Data Protection Appliance.
- Complete the initial vSphere Data Protection configuration.
- Perform image-based backups of the external Platform Services Controller and all vCenter Server instances. Note: Back up all vCenter Server and Platform Services Controller instances at the same time.
- (Optional) To run an existing backup job immediately, start the process manually.
- Restore each failed vCenter Server.
- Restore a virtual machine to the original location.
- Restore a virtual machine to a new location.
- Restore a virtual machine directly to the ESXi host that is running the vSphere Data Protection Appliance if the vCenter Server service becomes unavailable or if you cannot access the vSphere Data Protection user interface by using the vSphere Web Client.
- Power on the virtual machine that contains the restored vCenter Server.