You must Copy and run the VMware Migration Assistant on your source vCenter Server or vCenter Single Sign-On to prepare it for migration from Windows to an appliance.
You run the VMware Migration Assistant on your source vCenter Server or vCenter Single Sign-On to:
- Discover the source deployment type.
- Run pre-checks on the source.
- Report errors that must be addressed before starting the migration.
- Provide information for the next steps in the migration process.
- Download the vCenter Server Appliance Installer
- If your vCenter Server service is running in a service user account for access to the vCenter Server database and you run Migration Assistant under a different account, the Migration Assistant account must have the Replace a process level token permission.
- Navigate to the migration-assistant directory of the vCenter Server Appliance installer package and copy the migration-assistant folder to the source vCenter Server or vCenter Single Sign-On instance.
- Start Migration Assistant
The VMware Migration Assistant runs pre-migration checks and prompts you to resolve any errors it finds before proceeding with the migration.
- Double-click VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe
- (Optional) From the command line run VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe --help to launch Migration Assistant and display the help options.
- Enter the user name and password of a user who has administrative privileges on the vCenter Server instance, for example, the firstname.lastname@example.org user
When the pre-checks are finished and any errors are addressed, your source system is ready for migration.
What to do next
Follow the VMware Migration Assistant instructions to start migration.