You can migrate a vCenter Server with an external vCenter Single Sign-On to an appliance.
- First you migrate the vCenter Single Sign-On instance from Windows to an appliance.
- Next you migrate the vCenter Server instance from Windows to an appliance.
If vCenter Inventory Service, vSphere Web Client, vSphere Auto Deploy, or vSphere ESXi Dump Collector are installed on a different machine than the source vCenter Server with an embedded vCenter Single Sign-On, these components are migrated to the target vCenter Server Appliance.
For each node to be migrated, the installer:
- Deploys a new target appliance.
- Exports the required files from the source vCenter Single Sign-On instance.
- Copies the required files to the target appliance for migration.
- Runs the migration process on the target appliance as specified in the Summary.
- Imports and updates the files and settings of the source vCenter Single Sign-On instance to the new appliance.