When the vSphere Web Client is connected to vCenter Server, you can select hosts from which to download system log files.
About this task
To save diagnostic data for ESXi hosts and vCenter Server, the vSphere Web Client must be connected to the vCenter Server system.
To view diagnostic data: Read-Only User
To manage diagnostic data:
- In the inventory, navigate to a vCenter Server instance and click the Monitor tab.
- Click System Logs.
- Click Export System Logs.
- If you are connected to vCenter Server, select the object for which you want to export data.
Selecting an object selects all of its child objects.
- If you are connected to vCenter Server, select Include information from vCenter Server and vSphere Client to download vCenter Server and vSphere Client log files and host log files, and click Next.
- If the selected host supports manifest driven exports of system log files, select the system log files to collect. Select the specific system log files to download.
If the host does not support manifest exports of log files, all system log files are exported.
- Select Gather performance data to include performance data information in the log files. Click Generate Log Bundle.
You can update the duration and interval time you want the data collected.
- Once the log bundle generates, click Download Log Bundle to save it to your local computer.
- Specify the location to which to save the log files.
The host or vCenter Server generates a tar.tgz file containing the log files. The Recent Tasks panel shows the Generate diagnostic bundles task in progress.
- Click Save.
The Downloading Log Bundles dialog box appears when the Generating Diagnostic Bundle task is finished. The download status of each bundle appears in the dialog box.
Some network errors can cause download failures. When you select an individual download in the dialog box, the error message for that operation appears under the name and location of the log bundle file.
- Verify the information in the Summary and click Finish to download the log files.
Diagnostic bundles containing log files for the specified objects are downloaded to the location specified.