If you plan to use SNMP with vCenter Server, you must use the vSphere Web Client to configure the SNMP settings.
Before you begin
Verify that the vSphere Web Client is connected to a vCenter Server instance.
Verify that you have the domain name or IP address of the SNMP receiver, the port number of the receiver, and the community string.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to a vCenter Server instance.
- Click the Manage tab, and click Settings.
- Click Edit.
- Click SNMP receivers to edit their settings.
- Enter the following information for the primary receiver of the SNMP traps.
Primary Receiver URL
Enter the domain name or IP address of the receiver of SNMP traps.
Select the check box to enable the SNMP receiver.
Enter the port number of the receiver to which the SNMP agent sends traps.
If the port value is empty, vCenter Server uses the default port, 162.
Enter the community string that is used for authentication.
- (Optional) : Enter information about other SNMP receivers in the Receiver 2 URL, Receiver 3 URL, and Receiver 4 URL options, and select Enabled.
- Click OK.
The vCenter Server system is now ready to send traps to the management system you have specified.
What to do next
Configure your SNMP management software to receive and interpret data from the vCenter Server SNMP agent. See Configure SNMP Management Client Software.