You must set the automation level of all virtual machines in an MSCS cluster to Partially Automated. When you set the vSphere DRS automation level for the virtual machine to Partially Automated, vCenter Server will perform initial placement of virtual machines when they are powered on and will provide migration recommendations for them.
- Browse to the cluster in the vSphere Web Client object navigator.
- Click the Manage tab and click Settings.
- Under Services, click Edit.
- Expand DRS Automation, under Virtual Machine Automation select the Enable individual virtual machine automation levels check box and click OK.
- Under Configuration, select VM Overrides and click Add.
- Click the + button, select the MSCS virtual machines in the cluster and click OK.
- Click the Automation level drop-down menu, and select Partially Automated.
- Click OK.
VMware recommends partially automated mode for MSCS virtual machines, but there is no technical restriction which prevents the setting for MSCS virtual machines to be fully automated. If the fully automated setting is used please tune the migration threshold to suit the workload running on the MSCS virtual machines.