If a host is running ESXi 5.1 or earlier, you can change the maximum number of distributed ports on the proxy switch on the host.
Each proxy switch on ESXi hosts 5.1 and earlier provides a finite number of ports through which virtual machines and network services can reach one or more networks. You have to increase or decrease manually the number of ports according to your deployment requirements.
To ensure efficient use of host resources, on ESXi 5.5 and 6.0 hosts the number of distributed ports of proxy switches are dynamically scaled up and down. A proxy switch on such a host can expand up to the maximum number of ports supported on the host. The port limit is determined based on the maximum number of virtual machines that the host can handle.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the distributed switch.
- From the Actions menu, select Add and Manage Hosts.
- Select Manage host networking and click Next.
- Click Attached hosts and select from the hosts that are associated with the distributed switch.
- Click Next.
- Select a host and click Edit settings.
- Change the maximum number of distributed ports on the host and click OK.
- Click Next and click Finish.