You can export vSphere Distributed Switch and distributed port group configurations to a file. The file preserves valid network configurations, enabling transfer of these configurations to other environments.
This functionality is available only with vCenter Server 5.1 and later.
You can export a switch configuration before you upgrade vCenter Server if you upgrade from vCenter Server 5.1. If you upgrade vCenter Server from a version earlier than 5.1, back up the switch configuration after you upgrade vCenter Server to version 6.0.
Verify that vCenter Server is version 5.1 and later.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the distributed switch.
- Right-click the distributed switch and select .
- Choose to export the distributed switch configuration, or export the distributed switch configuration and all port groups.
- (Optional) Enter notes about this configuration in the Descriptions field.
- Click OK.
- Click Yes to save the configuration file to your local system.
What to do next
- Create a copy of the exported distributed switch in a vSphere environment. See Import a vSphere Distributed Switch Configuration.
- Overwrite the settings on an existing distributed switch. See Restore a vSphere Distributed Switch Configuration.
You can also export, import, and restore only port group configurations. See Export, Import, and Restore vSphere Distributed Port Group Configurations.