The new link aggregation group (LAG) by default is unused in the teaming and failover order of distributed port groups. Because only one LAG or only standalone uplinks can be active for distributed port groups, you must create an intermediate teaming and failover configuration, where the LAG is standby. This configuration lets you migrate physical NICs to the LAG ports by keeping the network connectivity up.
- Navigate to the distributed switch.
- From the Actions menu, select Manage Distributed Port Groups.
- Select Teaming and failover and click Next.
- Select the port groups where you want to use the LAG.
- In Failover order, select the LAG and use the up arrow to move it to the Standby uplinks list.
- Click Next, review the message that informs you about the usage of the intermediate teaming and failover configuration, and click OK.
- On the Ready to complete page, click Finish.
What to do next
Migrate physical NICs from standalone uplinks to the LAG ports.