To have your host use a directory service, you must join the host to the directory service domain.
About this task
You can enter the domain name in one of two ways:
name.tld (for example, domain.com): The account is created under the default container.
name.tld/container/path (for example, domain.com/OU1/OU2): The account is created under a particular organizational unit (OU).
To use the vSphere Authentication Proxy service, see Using vSphere Authentication Proxy.
- Browse to the host in the vSphere Web Client inventory.
- Click the Manage tab and click Settings.
- Under System, select Authentication Services.
- Click Join Domain.
- Enter a domain.
Use the form name.tld or name.tld/container/path.
- Enter the user name and password of a directory service user who has permissions to join the host to the domain, and click OK.
- (Optional) If you intend to use an authentication proxy, enter the proxy server IP address.
- Click OK to close the Directory Services Configuration dialog box.