When you unmount a datastore, it remains intact, but can no longer be seen from the hosts that you specify. The datastore continues to appear on other hosts, where it remains mounted.
When appropriate, before unmounting datastores, make sure that the following prerequisites are met:
- No virtual machines reside on the datastore.
- The datastore is not managed by Storage DRS.
- Storage I/O control is disabled for this datastore.
- In the vSphere Web Client navigator, select .
- Right-click the datastore to unmount and select Unmount Datastore.
- If the datastore is shared, specify which hosts should no longer access the datastore.
- Confirm that you want to unmount the datastore.
After you unmount a VMFS datastore from all hosts, the datastore is marked as inactive. If you unmount an NFS or a virtual datastore from all hosts, the datastore disappears from the inventory.
What to do next
If you unmounted the VMFS datastore as a part of an orderly storage removal procedure, you can now detach the storage device that is backing the datastore. See Detach Storage Devices.