Before you set up your ESXi host to boot from a SAN LUN, configure SAN components and a storage system.
Because configuring the SAN components is vendor specific, refer to the product documentation for each item.
- Connect network cable, referring to any cabling guide that applies to your setup.
Check the switch wiring, if there is any.
- Configure the storage array.
- From the SAN storage array, make the ESXi host visible to the SAN. This process is often referred to as creating an object.
- From the SAN storage array, set up the host to have the WWPNs of the host’s adapters as port names or node names.
- Create LUNs.
- Assign LUNs.
- Record the IP addresses of the switches and storage arrays.
- Record the WWPN for each SP.
If you use scripted installation to install ESXi in boot from SAN mode, you need to take special steps to avoid unintended data loss.