Use the datastore file browser to upload files to datastores accessible to ESXi hosts.
In addition to their traditional use as storage for virtual machines files, datastores can serve to store data or files related to virtual machines. For example, you can upload ISO images of operating systems from a local computer to a datastore on the host. You then use these images to install guest operating systems on the new virtual machines.
- Required privilege:
- Point to the icon () and check its label. If the label reads Install the Client Integration plug-in, you must install the plug-in to be able to upload files. Click the icon and follow the prompts. After installation, the label changes to Upload a file to the datastore.
- Open the datastore browser.
- Display the datastore in the inventory.
- Right-click the datastore and select Browse Files ().
- (Optional) Create a folder to store the file.
- Select the target folder and click the Upload a file to the datastore icon ().
- Locate the item to upload on the local computer and click Open.
- Refresh the datastore file browser to see the uploaded file on the list.
What to do next
You might experience problems when deploying an OVF template that you previously exported and then uploaded to a datastore. For details and a workaround, see the VMware Knowledge Base article 2117310.