To establish a connection between vCenter Server and a storage provider, you must register the storage provider. Make sure to register a separate storage provider for each host in a cluster.
Before you begin
Verify that the storage provider component is installed on the storage side and obtain its credentials from your storage administrator.
About this task
If you use Virtual SAN, the storage providers for Virtual SAN are registered and appear on the list of storage providers automatically. Virtual SAN does not support manual registration of storage providers. See the Administering VMware Virtual SAN documentation.
- Browse to vCenter Server in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
- Click the Manage tab, and click Storage Providers.
- Click the Register a new storage provider icon.
- Type connection information for the storage provider, including the name, URL, and credentials.
- (Optional) : To direct vCenter Server to the storage provider certificate, select the Use storage provider certificate option and specify the certificate's location.
If you do not select this option, a thumbprint of the certificate is displayed. You can check the thumbprint and approve it.
- Click OK to complete the registration.
vCenter Server has registered the storage provider and established a secure SSL connection with it.
What to do next
If your storage provider fails to register, see the VMware Knowledge Base article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2079087. For problems with Virtual SAN storage provider registration, see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2105018.