If you use VMFS3 datastores, you must upgrade them to VMFS5.
- If you have a VMFS2 datastore, you must first upgrade it to VMFS3 using an ESX/ESXi 3.x or ESX/ESXi 4.x host. Use the vSphere Host Client to access the host.
- All hosts accessing the datastore must support VMFS5.
- Verify that the volume to be upgraded has at least 2 MB of free space. Check the datastore Summary tab for this information.
- In the vSphere Web Client navigator, select .
- Click the datastore to upgrade.
- Click the Configure tab.
- Click Upgrade to VMFS5.
- Verify that the hosts accessing the datastore support VMFS5.
- Click OK to start the upgrade.
- Perform a rescan on all hosts that are associated with the datastore.
The datastore is upgraded to VMFS5 and is available to all hosts that are associated with the datastore.