You install the Update Manager components from the vCenter Server installer for Windows.
Before you begin
Create a My VMware account at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/.
About this task
Update Manager can only run on a 64-bit Windows operating system. If you want to use a vCenter Server Appliance to manage your virtual environment, you still need to obtain the vCenter Server installer for Windows to install the Update Manager server or the UMDS on a Windows host machine of a supported version.
- Download the vCenter Server installer from the VMware Web site at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads.
vCenter Server is part of VMware vCloud Suite and of VMware vSphere, listed under Datacenter & Cloud Infrastructure.
- Under Datacenter & Cloud Infrastructure, select VMware vCloud Suite or VMware vSphere, and click Download Product.
- Select a version from the Select Version drop-down menu to switch to the product version you need.
- Find VMware vCenter Server on that page, and select Go to Downloads.
- Download the .iso file of the VMware vCenter Server <product version> and Modules for Windows.
- Confirm that the md5sum is correct.
See the VMware Web site topic Using MD5 Checksums at http://www.vmware.com/download/md5.html.
- Mount the ISO image to the Windows virtual machine or physical server on which you want to install the Update Manager server or the UMDS.