Install UMDS if the machine on which Update Manager is installed does not have access to the Internet.
Before you begin
Verify that the machine on which you install UMDS has Internet access, so that UMDS can download upgrades, patch metadata and patch binaries.
Uninstall UMDS 1.0.x, UMDS 4.x, or UMDS 5.x if it is installed on the machine. If such a version of UMDS is already installed, the installation wizard displays an error message and the installation cannot proceed.
Before you install UMDS create a database instance and configure it. If you install UMDS on 64-bit machine, you must configure a 32-bit DSN and test it from ODBC. The database privileges and preparation steps are the same as the ones used for Update Manager. For more information, see Preparing the Update Manager Database.
If you plan to use the bundled Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express database, make sure that you install Microsoft Windows Installer version 4.5 (MSI 4.5) on your system.
UMDS and Update Manager must be installed on different machines.
To ensure optimal performance, install UMDS on a system with requirements same as the ones for the Update Manager server listed in System Requirements.
- In the software installer directory, double-click the autorun.exe file and select .
If you cannot run autorun.exe, browse to the umds folder and run VMware-UMDS.exe.
- (Optional) : Select the option to Use Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express as the embedded database, and click Install.
Skip this step only if you plan to use another supported Oracle or SQL Server database.
If the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express is not present on your system from previous Update Manager installations, the installation wizard for the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express opens.
- Click Install.
- Select the language for the installation and click OK.
- (Optional) : If the wizard prompts you, install the required items such as Windows Installer 4.5.
This step is required only if Windows Installer 4.5 is not present on your machine and you must perform it the first time you install a vSphere 5.x product. After the system restarts, the installer launches again.
- Review the Welcome page and click Next.
- Read and accept the license agreement, and click Next.
- Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next.
- (Optional) : Select the database, and click Next.
If you selected to use the embedded Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express database, the installation wizard skips this page.
- Use an existing supported database, by selecting your database from the list of DSNs. If the DSN does not use Windows NT authentication, enter the user name and password for the DSN and click Next.
The DSN must be a 32-bit DSN.
- Enter the Update Manager Download Service proxy settings and click Next.
- Select the Update Manager Download Service installation and patch download directories and click Next.
If you do not want to use the default locations, you can click Change to browse to a different directory. You can select the patch store to be an existing download directory from a previous UMDS 5.x installation and reuse the applicable downloaded updates in UMDS 6.0. After you associate an existing download directory with UMDS 6.0, you cannot use it with earlier UMDS versions.
- (Optional) : In the warning message about the disk free space, click OK.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Click OK in the Warning message notifying you that .NET Framework 4.0 is not installed.
The UMDS installer installs the prerequisite before the actual product installation.
- Click Finish.
UMDS is installed.