In a semi-air-gap environment, you can set up an Apache Web server on the machine on which UMDS is installed and configure Update Manager to use the downloaded patch binaries and patch metadata from the Apache Web server.
Before you begin
Set up Apache on the machine on which UMDS is running. For information about setting up an Apache Web server, see the documentation on the Apache HTTP Server Project Web site.
About this task
Use this approach when the Update Manager server is installed on a machine that is connected to the UMDS machine, but does not have direct Internet access.
The procedure uses Apache 2.2.14. Other versions of Apache can be configured similarly.
- Log in to the computer on which you have installed UMDS and download the patch binaries and patch metadata.
- Create a directory for the patch data under the document root of the Web server.
For example, C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\UMDS.
- Export the downloaded patch metadata and patch binaries to the UMDS directory in the Web server root.
vmware-umds -E --export-store C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\UMDS
- (Optional) : Verify that you can view the UMDS directory under the Web server root in a browser and download files.
- Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered and select .
If your vCenter Server system is connected to other vCenter Server systems by a common vCenter Single Sign-On domain, specify the Update Manager instance to configure by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.
- Click the Configuration tab in the Update Manager Administration view.
- Select the Use a shared repository radio button.
- Enter the URL of the folder on the Web server where you exported the patch binaries and patch metadata.
For example, http://ip_address_or_hostname/UMDS
- Click Validate URL to validate the path.
Make sure that the validation is successful. If the validation fails, Update Manager reports the reason for the failure. You can use the path to the shared repository only if the validation succeeds.
- Click Apply to apply the changes.
- Click Download Now to download the patch metadata immediately.
Update Manager downloads patch binaries during staging and remediation.
Update Manager is now configured to use the patch metadata and patch binaries downloaded through UMDS and hosted on the Apache Web server.