You upgrade virtual appliances by using a virtual appliance upgrade baseline. You can either use the predefined virtual appliance upgrade baseline, or create custom virtual appliance upgrade baselines.
- Use the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client to connect to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
- Depending on the client you use to connect to vCenter Server perform the following steps.
vSphere Web Client
On the VMs/VAs Baselines tab under Manage, click Create new baseline.
On the Baselines and Groups tab, click Create above the Baselines pane.
- Type a name, and optionally, a description of the baseline.
- Under Baseline Type, select VA Upgrade, and click Next.
- On the Upgrade Options page, select Vendor and Appliance options from the respective drop-down menus.
The options listed in these menus depend on the virtual appliance upgrades that are downloaded in the Update Manager repository. If no upgrades are downloaded in the repository, the available options are All Vendors and All Products, respectively.
- Select an option from the Upgrade To drop-down menu.
Upgrades the virtual appliance to the latest version.
A specific version number
Upgrades the virtual appliance to a specific version. This option is available when you select a specific vendor and appliance name.
Do Not Upgrade
Does not upgrade the virtual appliance.
- Click Add Rule.
- (Optional) Add multiple rules.
- Click Add Multiple Rules.
- Select one or all vendors.
- Select one or all appliances.
- Select one Upgrade To option to apply to the selected appliances, and click OK.
If you create multiple rules to apply to the same virtual appliance, only the first applicable rule in the list is applied.
- (Optional) Resolve any conflicts within the rules you apply.
- In the Upgrade Rule Conflict window, select whether to keep the existing rules, to use the newly created rules, or to manually resolve the conflict.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to Complete page, click Finish.
The new baseline is displayed in the Baselines pane of the Baselines and Groups tab.