You can scan virtual machines and virtual appliances in the vSphere inventory against attached baselines and baseline groups from the vSphere Web Client by using the Update Manager Web Client. You can later perform staging and remediation from the Update Manager Client plug-in for the vSphere Client.
After you import a VMware Studio created virtual appliance in the vSphere Web Client, power it on so that it is discovered as a virtual appliance.
- Use the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client to connect to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
Client Steps vSphere Web Client
- Select .
- From the inventory object navigator, right-click a virtual machine, and select .
- Select , in the navigation bar.
- From the object navigator, right-click a virtual machine, and select Scan.
- Select the types of updates to scan for.
You can scan for Virtual appliance upgrades, VMware Tools upgrades, and VM Hardware upgrades.
- Click OK.
The virtual machines and appliances are scanned against the attached baselines, depending on the options that you selected.
What to do next
Stage and remediate the scanned inventory object in Update Manager Client plug-in for the vSphere Client.