Dynamic baselines consist of a set of patches that meet certain criteria. The contents of a dynamic baseline varies as the available patches change. You can also exclude or add specific patches. Patches you select to add or exclude do not change with new patch downloads.
- Use the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client to connect to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
- Depending on the client you use to connect to vCenter Server perform the following steps.
Client Steps vSphere Web Client
- On the Manage tab, under Host Baselines, click Create a new baseline.
- On the Baselines and Groups tab, click Create above the Baselines tab.
- Type a name, and optionally, a description of the baseline.
- Under Baseline Type select Host Patch, and click Next.
- Select Dynamic as the type of baseline, and click Next.
- On the Dynamic Baseline Criteria page, specify criteria to define the patches to include, and then click Next.
Option Description Patch Vendor Specifies which patch vendor to use. Product
Restricts the set of patches to the selected products or operating systems.
The asterisk at the end of a product name is a wildcard character for any version number.
Severity Specifies the severity of patches to include. Category Specifies the category of patches to include. Release Date Specifies the range for the release dates of the patches.The relationship between these fields is defined by the Boolean operator AND.For example, when you select a product and severity option, the patches are restricted to the ones that are applicable for the selected product and are of the specified severity level.
- (Optional) On the Patches to Exclude page, select one or more patches in the list and click the down arrow to permanently exclude them from the baseline.
- (Optional) If you use the vSphere Client, click Advanced to search for specific patches to exclude from the baseline.
- Click Next.
- (Optional) On the Additional patches page, select individual patches to include in the baseline and click the down arrow to move them into the Fixed Patches to Add list.
The patches you add to the dynamic baseline stay in the baseline regardless of the new downloaded patches.
- (Optional) If you use the vSphere Client, click Advanced to search for specific patches to include in the baseline.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to Complete page, click Finish.
The new baseline is displayed in the Baselines pane of the Baselines and Groups tab.