In an air-gap deployment system where the Update Manager server is installed on a computer with no access to the Internet or other networks, the patch metadata and patch binaries you download using UMDS must be transferred to the machine on which Update Manager is installed.
- Connect a portable media drive to the computer on which you have installed UMDS and have downloaded the patch binaries and patch metadata.
- Open a Command Prompt window and navigate to the folder in which UMDS is installed.
The default location in 64-bit Windows is C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager.
- Export the downloaded patches to the portable media drive.
vmware-umds -E --export-store F:\Here F:\ is the path to the media drive, for example a USB flash drive.
- Verify that all files are exported to the portable media drive, and then safely remove it and connect it to the machine on which the Update Manager server is installed.
- Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered and select .
If your vCenter Server system is connected to other vCenter Server systems by a common vCenter Single Sign-On domain, specify the Update Manager instance to configure by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.
- Click the Configuration tab in the Update Manager Administration view.
- Under Settings, click Patch Download Settings.
- Select the Use a shared repository radio button.
- Enter the path to the portable media drive.
F:\Here F:\ is the path to the media drive, for example a USB flash drive.
- Click Validate URL to validate the path.
Make sure that the validation is successful. If the validation fails, Update Manager reports the reason for the failure. You can use the path to the shared repository only if the validation succeeds.
- Click Apply to apply the changes.
- Click Download Now to download the patch metadata immediately.
Update Manager downloads patch binaries during staging and remediation.
The patch binaries and patch metadata downloaded using the UMDS are imported to the machine on which the Update Manager server is installed.