Using Microsoft Excel, you can connect to the Update Manager database and query the database views to generate a common report.
You must have an ODBC connection to the Update Manager database.
- Log in to the computer on which the Update Manager database is set up.
- From the Windows Start menu, select .
- Click .
- In the Choose Data Source window, select VMware Update Manager and click OK.
If necessary, in the database query wizard, select the ODBC DSN name and enter the user name and password for the ODBC database connection.
- In the Query Wizard - Choose Columns window, select the columns of data to include in your query and click Next.
Available tables and columns
Lists the available tables, views, and columns. Scroll down to select a database view beginning with VUMV_, and expand the view to select specific columns by double-clicking them.
Columns in your query
Lists the columns you can select to include in your query.
Preview of data in selected column
Displays the data in a selected column when you click Preview Now.
For example, if you want to get the latest scan results for all objects in the inventory and all patches for an inventory object, select the following database views and their corresponding columns from the Available tables and columns pane:
- Click OK in the warning message that the query wizard cannot join the tables in your query.
- In the Microsoft Query window, drag a column name from the first view to the other column to join the columns in the tables manually.
For example, join the META_UID column from the VUMV_UPDATES database view with the UPDATE_METAUID column from the VUMV_ENTITY_SCAN_RESULTS database view.
A line between the columns selected indicates that these columns are joined.
The data is automatically queried for all inventory objects in the Microsoft Query window.