If your deployment system is connected to the Internet, you can directly download ESXi patches and extensions, as well as virtual appliance upgrades.
- Use the vSphere Client or the vSphere Web Client to connect to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
- Depending on the client you use to connect to vCenter Server perform the following steps.
vSphere Web Client
On the Manage tab, under Settings, click Download Settings.
On the Configuration tab, under Settings, click Download Settings.
- In the Download Sources pane, select Direct connection to Internet.
- If you use the vSphere Client, choose the type of updates to download by selecting or deselecting the check box next to the type of update.
You can choose whether to download virtual appliance upgrades and host patches and extensions. You cannot edit the download source location of the default ESXi patches and extensions. You can only enable or disable downloading.
- (Optional) Add an additional third-party download source for virtual appliances or hosts that are running ESXi 5.0 and later.
- Click Apply.
- Click Download Now to run the VMware vSphere Update Manager Update Download task.
All notifications and updates are downloaded immediately even if the Enable scheduled download checkbox is not selected in or , respectively.