To use Update Manager, you must install the Update Manager Client plug-in, which is delivered as a plug-in for the vSphere Client.
About this task
You can install the Update Manager Client plug-in on both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
Install the Update Manager server.
Install Microsoft.NET Framework 4.0. You can download it from the vSphere installer.
- Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
- Select .
- In the Plug-in Manager window, click Download and install for the VMware vSphere Update Manager extension.
- Select a language for the installer and click OK.
- Review the Welcome page and click Next.
- Read and accept the license agreement, and click Next.
- Click Install.
- Complete the Update Manager Client installation, and click Finish.
The status for the Update Manager extension is displayed as Enabled.
- Click Ignore if a security warning appears.
The security warning appears when the vSphere client detects a certificate that is not added in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store. This is usually the case with the self-signed certificate used by ESXi hosts by default. For highly secure environments, you must set up a trusted third-party certificate later.
- Click Close to close the Plug-in Manager window.
The icon for the Update Manager plug-in is displayed on the vSphere Client Home page under Solutions and Applications.