For URL-based patching, by default the vCenter Server Appliance is configured to use the default VMware repository URL that is preset for the build profile of the appliance. You can configure a custom repository URL as the current source of patches for your environment's requirements.
About this task
By default the current repository for URL-based patching is the default VMware repository URL.
You can use the proxy.set command to configure a proxy server for the connection between the vCenter Server Applianceand the repository URL. For more information about the API commands in the appliance shell, see vCenter Server Appliance Configuration.
If the vCenter Server Appliance is not connected to the Internet or if your security policy requires it, you can build and configure a custom repository that runs on a local Web server within your data center and replicates the data from the default VMware repository URL. Optionally, you can set up authentication policy for accessing the Web server that hosts the custom patching repository.
Log in to the vCenter Server Appliance Management Interface as root.
- If you want to configure a custom repository URL, build the repository on your local Web server.
- Download the vCenter Server Appliance patch ZIP file from the VMware Web site at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads.
- On your Web server, create a repository directory under the root.
For example, create the vc_update_repo directory.
- Extract the ZIP file into the repository directory.
The extracted files are in the manifest and package-pool subdirectories.
- In the vCenter Server Appliance Management Interface, click Update.
- Click Settings.
- Select the Repository settings.
Use default repository
Uses the default VMware repository URL that is preset for the build profile of the appliance.
Use specified repository
Uses a custom repository. You must enter the repository URL, for example, http://web_server_name.your_company.com/vc_update_repo.
If the repository policy requires authentication, enter a user name and password.
- Click OK.