You can upgrade your existing vCenter Server 5.0 deployment by using the vCenter Server for Windows installer.
Before you begin
Verify that your configuration meets the upgrade requirements. See vCenter Server for Windows Requirements.
Complete the upgrade preparation tasks. See Before Upgrading vCenter Server
Verify that you have made a backup of your vCenter Server configuration and database.
Download the vCenter Server Installer. See Download the vCenter Server for Windows Installer
About this task
When you upgrade from vCenter Server 5.0, you can configure either an embedded or an external Platform Services Controller during the upgrade.
Ports that are in use by vCenter Server are preserved. You cannot change ports during the upgrade. For information on required ports, see Required Ports for vCenter Server and Platform Services Controller.
The installer automatically migrates the database from Microsoft SQL Server Express to the PostgreSQL (vPostgres) database that is included in vCenter Server. For information about migrating from Microsoft SQL Server Express to Microsoft SQL Server before upgrading to VC 6.0, see the VMware knowledge base article at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1028601 and the Microsoft documentation. To upgrade without migrating to the PostgreSQL database, see the VMware knowledge base article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2109321.
For information on deployment options, see vCenter Server Deployment Models and About the vCenter Server 6.0 for Windows Upgrade Process.
For information on post-upgrade steps, see After Upgrading vCenter Server.
- Download the vCenter Server for Windows ISO file. Extract the ISO file locally, or mount the ISO file as a drive.
- In the software installer, double-click the autorun.exe file to start the installer.
- Select vCenter Server for Windows and click .
The installer runs checks in the background to discover your existing settings and notify you of any problems that can affect your upgrade process.
The vCenter Server installer opens to the Welcome page.
- When the installer displays the detected information and the upgrade path, verify that it is correct.
If you see a dialog box identifying missing requirements instead of a Welcome screen, follow the instructions in the dialog box.
- Complete the installation wizard steps and accept the license agreement.
- Enter your vCenter Server administrator credentials.
The installer runs checks in the background to detect any issues that can cause the upgrade to fail. You might receive a warning if the old certificates do not meet current VMware security standards.
- Select the vCenter Server deployment model.
If you choose vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller, create or join a vCenter Single Sign-On domain and site and click .Important:
Although you can select to join a vCenter Single Sign-On domain, you should consider vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller as a standalone installation and do not use it for replication of infrastructure data.
If you choose vCenter Server with an external Platform Services Controller, enter the information for the external Platform Services Controller and click .
For an embedded Platform Services Controller instance, the installer migrates the vCenter Single Sign-On domain System-Domain to the new domain that is chosen for the Platform Services Controller. For an external Platform Services Controller, the installer validates the information that is entered by connecting to the Platform Services Controller instance using the credentials entered.
- Configure the ports and click
The installer checks for the availability of the selected ports and displays an error message if a selected port cannot be used.
- Configure the install, data and export data directories and click
The installer runs disk space and permission checks for the selected directories and displays an error message if the selected directories do not meet the requirements.
- If you chose the embedded deployment, review the VMware Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) page and choose if you want to join the program.
For information about the CEIP, see the Configuring Customer Experience Improvement Program section in vCenter Server and Host Management.
- Review the Summary page to verify that the settings are correct. Verify that you have made a backup of the vCenter Server machine and the vCenter Server database and click .
A progress indicator displays as the installer starts the upgrade process. When the process is complete, the installer verifies the upgrade.
- Before clicking , note the post-upgrade steps.
- Click to complete the upgrade.
Your vCenter Server for Windows upgrade is complete. For information on post-upgrade tasks, see After Upgrading vCenter Server.