With Advanced search, you can search for managed objects that meet multiple criteria.
About this task
For example, you can search for virtual machines whose name contains a particular string that reside on a particular host.
- From the vSphere Web Client Home, click New Search and then click Advanced Search.
- Select the type of object to search for from the Search for drop-down menu.
- Select how to combine the search criteria.
The search returns results that match any of the specified criteria.
The search returns only results that match all of the specified criteria.
- Select a property to search for from the drop-down menu.
The properties available depend on the type of object you are searching for.
- Select the relationship between the search term and the property from the drop-down menu.
The options available in this step depend on the property selected in the previous step. For example, if you select a Name property, the options available are contains, is, and is not.
- Type or select the search term.
- (Optional) To add additional search criteria, click Add new criteria and repeat 4 to 6.
- (Optional) To add an additional search, click Add another object type and repeat 2 to 7.
- Click Search.
Search results are displayed in the details pane and in the navigator.
- (Optional) Click any item in the navigator to see its details without leaving the context of the search.
- (Optional) Double-click any item in the details pane to display that item in the inventory.