Migration of VMs between vCenter Server instances moves VMs to new networks. The migration process performs checks to verify that the source and destination networks are similar.
vCenter Server performs a number of network compatibility checks to prevent the following configuration problems:
- MAC address compatibility on the destination host
- vMotion from a distributed switch to a standard switch
- vMotion between distributed switches of different versions
- vMotion to an internal network, for example, a network without a physical NIC
- vMotion to a distributed switch that is not working properly
vCenter Server does not perform checks for and notify you about the following problems:
- If the source and destination distributed switches are not in the same broadcast domain, virtual machines lose network connectivity after migration.
- If the source and destination distributed switches do not have the same services configured, virtual machines might lose network connectivity after migration.