After you have configured the vCenter Server Appliance to send traps, you must configure your management client software to receive and interpret those traps.
About this task
To configure your management client software, specify the communities for the managed device, configure the port settings, and load the VMware MIB files. See the documentation for your management system for specific instructions for these steps.
Download the VMware MIB files from the VMware Web site: http://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/managementapi.
- In your management software, specify the vCenter Server Appliance as an SNMP-based managed device.
- If you are using SNMP v1 or v2c, set up appropriate community names in the management software.
These names must correspond to the communities set for the SNMP agent on the vCenter Server Appliance.
- If you are using SNMP v3, configure users and authentication and privacy protocols to match those configured on the vCenter Server Appliance.
- If you configured the SNMP agent to send traps to a port on the management system other than the default UDP port 162, configure the management client software to listen on the port you configured.
- Load the VMware MIBs into the management software to view the symbolic names for the vCenter Server Appliance variables.
To prevent lookup errors, load these MIB files in the following order before loading other MIB files:
The management software can now receive and interpret traps from the vCenter Server Appliance.