Hosts that use external SAS controllers can share devices. You can manually mark those shared devices as remote, so that Virtual SAN does not automatically claim the devices when it creates disk groups.
In Virtual SAN, you cannot add shared devices to a disk group.
- Browse to the Virtual SAN cluster in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
- Click the Configure tab.
- Under Virtual SAN, click Disk Management.
- Select a host to view the list of devices.
- From the Show drop-down menu at the bottom of the page, select Not in Use.
- Select one or more devices that you want to mark as remote and click the Marks the selected disk(s) as remote for the host icon.
- Click Yes to confirm.