VMware Tools provides drivers and services that enhance the performance of virtual machines and make possible many of the ease-of-use features in vSphere. When VMware Tools is installed, you can configure many of these utilities and change their characteristics. In addition, to harden a virtual machine and reduce security risks as much as possible, disable the VMware Tools features that might be vulnerable to security threats.
- The command-line configuration utility in the guest operating system. You can modify VMware Tools settings, shrink virtual disks, and connect and disconnect virtual devices.
- Custom scripts.
- For NetWare virtual machines, you use the system console to configure virtual machine options.
- Menu commands and dialog boxes.
- Instructions about installing and upgrading VMware Tools in vSphere, see Upgrading Virtual Machines.
- Information about VMware Tools in hosts that are provisioned with vSphere Auto Deploy, see VMware Knowledge Base article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2004018.
- Information about installing and configuring VMware Tools in other VMware products, see the documentation for your product.