You can create a content library in the vSphere Web Client, and populate it with templates, which you can use to deploy virtual machines or vApps in your virtual environment.
Required privileges: vCenter Server instance where you want to create the library.or on the
- In the vSphere Web Client navigator, select .
- Click the Objects tab.
- Click the Create a New Library icon ().
- Enter a name for the content library, and in the Notes text box, enter a description for the library, and click Next.
- Select the type of content library you want to create.
Option Description Local content library
Creates a content library that is accessible only in the vCenter Server instance where you create it.
To make the contents of the library available for other users, publish the library. If you want users to use a password when accessing the library, enable authentication for the library, and enter a password.
Subscribed content library Creates a content library, which is subscribed to a published content library. You can only sync the subscribed library with the published library to see up-to-date content, but you cannot add or remove content from the subscribed library. Only an administrator of the published library can add, modify, and remove contents from the published library.
Provide the following settings to subscribe to a library:
- In the Subscription URL text box, enter the URL address of the published library.
- If authentication is enabled on the published library, enter the publisher password.
- Select a download method for the contents of the subscribed library.
- If you want to download a local copy of all the templates and files in the published library immediately after subscribing to it, select Download all library content immediately.
- If you want to save storage space, select Download library content only when needed. You download only the metadata for the templates and files in the published library.
When you need to use a particular template, synchronize the item to download a full copy.
- When prompted, accept the SSL certificate thumbprint.
The SSL certificate thumbprint is stored on your system until you delete the subscribed content library from the inventory.
- Click Next.
- Enter the path to a storage location where to keep the contents of this library.
Option Description Enter a local file system path or an NFS URL Enter the path to the local file system of the Windows machine where vCenter Server runs, or enter a path to an NFS storage if you are using vCenter Server Appliance.
If you use a vCenter Server instance that runs on a Windows system, you can store your templates on the local storage or the mapped shared storage on the Windows machine.
If you use vCenter Server Appliance, you can store your templates on an NFS storage that is mounted to the appliance. After the operation to create a new library is complete, the vCenter Server Appliance automatically mounts the shared storage to the host OS.
Select a datastore Select a datastore from your vSphere inventory.
- Review the information on the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.