Use the datastore file browser to upload files to datastores on your host.
Before you begin
About this task
Virtual Volumes do not support uploading files directly to the virtual datastores. You must first create a folder on the virtual datastore, and then upload the files into the folder.
In addition to their traditional use as a storage for virtual machine files, datastores can serve to store data or files related to virtual machines. For example, you can upload ISO images of operating systems from a local computer to a datastore on the host. You then use these images to install guest operating systems on the new virtual machines.
- Click Storage in the VMware Host Client inventory and click Datastores.
- Click File browser.
- Select the datastore that you want to store the file on.
- (Optional) : Create a new datastore directory to store the file.
- Select the target folder and click Upload
- Locate the item that you want to upload from your local computer and click Open.
The file uploads to the datastore that you selected.
- (Optional) : Refresh the datastore file browser to see the uploaded file on the list.
- Click Close to exit the file browser.