After you redirect the direct console to a serial port, you can make that setting part of the host profile that persists when you reprovision the host with Auto Deploy.
- From the vSphere Web Client, connect to the vCenter Server.
- Select the host in the inventory.
- Click the Manage tab.
- Select Settings.
- Select Advanced System Settings.
- Make sure that the VMkernel.Boot.logPort and VMkernel.Boot.gdbPort fields are not set to use the com port that you want to redirect the direct console to.
- Set VMkernel.Boot.tty2Port to the serial port to redirect the direct console to: com1 or com2.
- Click OK.
- Save the host profile and attach the host to the profile. See the vSphere Host Profiles documentation.