You can manually restore the full image backup of a virtual machine that contains a vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller by using the Restore backup wizard.
About this task
This procedure describes the steps by using vSphere Data Protection 6.1.3. The steps might vary if you use a different version of vSphere Data Protection.
Deploy and configure the vSphere Data Protection Appliance.
Back up a virtual machine with running vCenter Server. See Use vSphere Data Protection to Back Up a vCenter Server Environment.
Use the vSphere Web Client to log in to the vCenter Server instance that manages your environment. Log in as the user with administrator privileges that was used during the vSphere Data Protection configuration.
Verify that the virtual machine you want to restore is powered off.
- On the vSphere Web Client Home page, click vSphere Data Protection.
- Click the Restore tab.
- (Optional) Filter the backups to narrow your search.
- Select a virtual machine listed in the Name column, and select one or more backup items that you want to restore.
When you select a virtual machine, you can see the list of the performed backups for that virtual machine.
- Click Restore to start the Restore backup wizard.
- On the Select Backup page, verify that the list of backups is correct, remove the backups that you want to exclude from the restore operation, and click Next.
- On the Set Restore Options page, deselect the Restore to Original Location check box to set the restore options for each backup that you are restoring to a new location.
- Enter the name of the new virtual machine and click Choose to select a new host for the virtual machine.
- Select the datastore in which to restore the virtual machine, and click Next.
- (Optional) Under Advanced options, select a new datastore to power on the virtual machine after it is restored and to reconnect the NIC.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the summary of your restore requests, and click Finish to start the restore operation.
If you selected to reconnect the NIC during the restore process, verify that the network configuration for the newly created virtual machine is correct. The NIC of the new virtual machine might use the same IP address as the original virtual machine, which causes conflicts.
An information dialog box confirms that the restore operation was successfully initiated. You can monitor the restore progress in the Recent Tasks pane.