After you have configured a vCenter Server instance or an ESXi host to send traps, configure your management client software to receive and interpret those traps.
About this task
To configure your management client software, specify the communities for the managed device, configure the port settings, and load the VMware MIB files. See the documentation for your management system for specific instructions for these steps.
To complete this task, download the VMware MIB files from the VMware website: http://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/managementapi. On the Web page, search Downloading MIB modules.
- In your management software, specify the vCenter Server instance or ESXi host as an SNMP-based managed device.
- If you are using SNMPv1 or SNMPv2c, set up appropriate community names in the management software.
These names must correspond to the communities set for the SNMP agent on the vCenter Server instance or ESXi host.
- If you are using SNMPv3, configure users and authentication and privacy protocols to match those configured on the ESXi host.
- If you configured the SNMP agent to send traps to a port on the management system other than the default UDP port 162, configure the management client software to listen on the port you configured.
- Load the VMware MIBs into the management software so you can view the symbolic names for vCenter Server or the host variables.
To prevent lookup errors, load these MIB files in the following order before loading other MIB files:
The management software can now receive and interpret traps fromvCenter Server or ESXi hosts.