Add a distributed port group to a network resource pool so that you can allocate bandwidth to the virtual machines that are connected to the port group.
About this task
To assign a network resource pool to several distributed port groups at once, you can use the Resource allocation policy in the Manage Distributed Port Groups wizard. See Manage Policies for Multiple Port Groups on a vSphere Distributed Switch.
Network I/O Control allocates bandwidth to the virtual machines associated with the distributed port group according to the model implemented in the Network I/O Control version that is active on the distributed switch. See About vSphere Network I/O Control Version 3.
Verify that the vSphere Distributed Switch is version 5.1 and later.
Verify that Network I/O Control is enabled. See Enable Network I/O Control on a vSphere Distributed Switch.
- Locate a distributed port group in the vSphere Web Client.
- Select a distributed switch and click the Networks tab.
- Click Distributed Port Groups.
- Select the distributed port group and click Edit distributed port group settings.
- In the Edit Settings dialog box, click General.
- From the Network resource pool drop-down menu, select the network resource pool and click OK.
If the distributed switch does not contain network resource pools, you see only the (default) option in the drop-down menu.