Limit informational messages from the virtual machine to the VMX file to avoid filling the datastore and causing a Denial of Service (DoS). A DoS can occur when you do not control the size of a virtual machine's VMX file and the amount of information exceeds datastore capacity.
About this task
The virtual machine configuration file (VMX file) limit is 1 MB by default. This capacity is usually sufficient, but you can change this value if necessary. For example, you might increase the limit if you store large amounts of custom information in the file.
Consider carefully how much information you require. If the amount of information exceeds datastore capacity, a DoS can result.
The default limit of 1 MB is applied even when the tools.setInfo.sizeLimit parameter is not listed in the advanced options.
- Log in to a vCenter Server system using the vSphere Web Client and find the virtual machine.
- In the Navigator, select VMs and Templates.
- Find the virtual machine in the hierarchy.
- Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Select VM Options.
- Click Advanced and click Edit Configuration.
- Add or edit the tools.setInfo.sizeLimit parameter.