Assign WWN settings to virtual machine with an RDM disk.
Before you begin
Create a virtual machine with an RDM disk. See Create Virtual Machines with RDMs.
About this task
You can create from 1 to 16 WWN pairs, which can be mapped to the first 1 to 16 physical FC HBAs on the host.
- In the vSphere Web Client, browse to the virtual machine.
- Right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
- Click VM Options.
- Expand the NPIV menu items by clicking the Fibre Channel NPIV triangle.
- Deselect the Temporarily Disable NPIV for this virtual machine check box.
- Select Generate new WWNs.
- Specify the number of WWNNs and WWPNs.
A minimum of two WWPNs are required to support failover with NPIV. Typically only one WWNN is created for each virtual machine.
The host creates WWN assignments for the virtual machine.
What to do next
Register newly created WWNs in the fabric.