If your storage requirements for the applications on the virtual machine change, you can edit the storage policy that was originally applied to the virtual machine.
You can edit the storage policy for a powered-off or powered-on virtual machine.
When changing the VM storage policy assignment, you can apply the same storage policy to the virtual machine configuration file and all its virtual disks. You can also associate different storage policies with the VM configuration file and the virtual disks. You might apply different policies when, for example, storage requirements for your virtual disks and the configuration file are different.
- Browse to the virtual machine.
- From the vSphere Web Client Home, click .
- Click the storage policy you want to change.
- Click the VMs tab and click Virtual Machines.
You can see the list of virtual machines that use this storage policy.
- From the list, select the virtual machine whose policy you want to modify.
- Click the Configure tab and click Policies.
- Click Edit VM Storage Policies.
- Specify the VM storage policy for your virtual machine.
Apply the same storage policy to all virtual machine objects.
Select the policy from the VM storage policy drop-down menu.
Click Apply to all.
Apply different storage policies to the VM home object and virtual disks.
Select the object.
In the VM Storage Policy column, select the policy from the drop-down menu.
- If you use Virtual Volumes policy with replication, configure the replication group.
Replication groups indicate which VMs and virtual disks must be replicated together to a target site.
- Click Configure to open the Configure VM Replication Groups page.
- Specify the replication group.
Assign the same replication group to all virtual machine objects.
Select Common replication gourp and select a preconfigured or automatic group from the drop-down menu.
Assign different replication groups to the VM home object and virtual disks.
Select Replication gorup per storage object.
Select the object to modify.
In the Replication Group column, select the replication group from the drop-down menu.
- Click OK.
- Click OK to save the VM storage policy changes.
The storage policy is assigned to the virtual machine and its disks.