You upgrade virtual appliances by using a virtual appliance upgrade baseline. You can either use the predefined virtual appliance upgrade baseline, or create custom virtual appliance upgrade baselines.
- Use the vSphere Web Client to log in to a vCenter Server Appliance, or to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
- In the Home view of the vSphere Web Client, select the Update Manager icon.
- From the Objects tab, select an Update Manager instance.
The Objects tab also displays all the vCenter Server system to which an Update Manager instance is connected.
- Click the Manage tab.
- On the VMs/VAs Baselines tab, click Create new baseline.
- Type a name, and optionally, a description of the baseline.
- Under Baseline Type, select VA Upgrade, and click Next.
- On the Upgrade Options page, select Vendor and Appliance options from the respective drop-down menus.
The options listed in these menus depend on the virtual appliance upgrades that are downloaded in the Update Manager repository. If no upgrades are downloaded in the repository, the available options are All Vendors and All Products, respectively.
- Select an option from the Upgrade To drop-down menu.
Upgrades the virtual appliance to the latest version.
A specific version number
Upgrades the virtual appliance to a specific version. This option is available when you select a specific vendor and appliance name.
Do Not Upgrade
Does not upgrade the virtual appliance.
- Click Add Rule.
- (Optional) : Add multiple rules.
- Click Add Multiple Rules.
- Select one or all vendors.
- Select one or all appliances.
- Select one Upgrade To option to apply to the selected appliances, and click OK.
If you create multiple rules to apply to the same virtual appliance, only the first applicable rule in the list is applied.
- (Optional) : Resolve any conflicts within the rules you apply.
- In the Upgrade Rule Conflict window, select whether to keep the existing rules, to use the newly created rules, or to manually resolve the conflict.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- Review the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.
The new baseline is displayed in the Baselines pane of the Baselines and Groups tab.